Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Will The Real Me Please Stand Up

I have been looking at the above book title, Behind Those Eyes - What's Really Going On Inside The Souls of Women, for about 2 or 3 months and have almost purchased it on several occasions. I even had it in my "cart" on Barnes and Noble's website one time, but then cancelled out of the transaction without placing my order.

A few weeks ago, I saw in our church bulletin that the author of the book, Lisa Whittle, was going to be teaching the book HERSELF at our other church location.  I mentioned it to my daughter, Faith , that I had thought about going and that was the end of that.  I never saw it again in the church bulletin.

Well...this past week God brought it to my remembrance again through reading Lisa's blog, and God started nudging and prodding me to attend the class which started tonight. I had all kinds of excuses ready for Him ---I don't want to go by myself!  I won't know a soul at this location! I'll be the oldest one in the class! I don't know my way around that church!  I have to work that day and I will be tired!  You know how we are always ready with the excuses and they were all "good ones", too. After all, I had rehearsed them over and over!

When I got off from work this afternoon I headed home quickly and grabbed  a bite to eat and then headed out -- I had decided I was going to go. No sooner did I pull out of my neighborhood than I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic with seemingly no hope of making it to the class on time. I came so close to turning around and going back home because the LAST thing I wanted to do was to have to walk in a classroom LATE not knowing anyone; being the oldest in the class, yah-da-yah-da-yah-da.

I am here to tell you that I did NOT turn around and I DID make it into the class on time (despite a 40 minute drive) and after hearing just the introduction to the book and to the class tonight, I have no doubt that God wanted me in this class.

I feel so fortunate to have the author herself teaching our class. This is actually the first time she has taught the class so I know that we are in for a treat! How better to know the heart of the person that wrote the book than to hear it directly from her. Lisa is an amazing speaker and such a beautiful young woman. I am so excited about how God is going to use her over the next 5 weeks that we meet.

Please pray for Lisa, the approximately 50 ladies and myself, as we meet over the next 5 weeks that God will help us all to "get real - real with ourselves, real with one another, and real before God".  I pray that even now God would begin to clean out the secret places in my heart that keep me "cluttered", so that I will be able to hear the truth that He has for me.

6 comments:

Becky said...

OMG!!! You are so lucky to have Lisa as the teacher! I plan on buying the book myself. I think someone is actually doing an online study and I would love to get in on it. Let us know how is goes.

petrii said...

Okay seriously, why don't we live closer!! I would so be going with you ~~ we could just be the "old" ones together ~~ (although we're not old, just fabulously past young adult :0)

My friend and I do a Bible study in my home on Tuesday afternoons. Right now we are doing "The Frazzled Female" by Cindi Wood. Please let me know if you would recommend this one for a home study. We'll be looking for a new study in a few weeks. Blessings to you friend, Dawn

Deidre said...

The book looks wonderful and to have the author teach the class is such an added blessing. Keep us posted how it goes. I need to check it out :)

Faith said...

I'm so glad that you went! I know that you will be blessed through this. I hate I had to miss out because it sounds like a great study. Can't wait to hear more about what God teaches you through it!

Love you lots!

Julie said...

I'm so glad you went. We want you to share what you learn!!! I went to her blog and read a little on the book. It sounds like it will be a great study!!

Heather said...

I am so excited to hear more about this- it sounds WONDERFUL!
Hope you have a good weekend!