Saturday, August 9, 2008

Gonna Take A Sentimental Journey

I am probably one of the most sentimental people that you know. I have quite a few things that belonged to my grandparents (MaMa and PaPa) and I cherish each and every one of them. They were the sweetest grandparents that anyone could have. My PaPa was a perfect gentleman.  I never remember seeing him in anything but dress pants and a dress shirt.  He even mowed the grass in nice pants!  He also wore a hat most of the time.  My MaMa was such a godly woman.  She taught me so many things about "being a lady" and she was an amazing cook! I can remember sitting beside her on the piano bench in her living room while she played and sang "The Old Rugged Cross" or "Softly and Tenderly". MaMa and PaPa took me to Sunday School and church with them on many Sundays and some of my earliest memories of church included them.

One of the things that I remember about my grandparent's house was a little "man" that hung on the wall of her kitchen. She always referred to him as Mr. Petrie.  For as long as I can remember, he hung right by the back door next to her little breakfast nook.  Since MaMa passed away about 10 years ago, I have often thought about him and  wondered what  happened to him.

While home for my Mother's surgery last week, I asked her if she knew what ever happened to Mr. Petrie and she said that she didn't, but she would ask her sister.  She called her sister, Rosie, and ...guess what?!?!  Rosie had Mr. Petrie!  And...she said that if I would promise to take good care of him that she would let me take him to my house.

So....last Monday morning, Mr. Petrie made the trip from Manchester, GA to Columbus, GA with my aunt and uncle, Rosie and Ben,  and Rosie passed him over to me to take to my home in NC.

How cute is he?!?!??

I asked Rosie what the story was about him and she said that she bought him at a "five and dime" store years ago for her mother (my MaMa). Rosie thought that he looked like the father of a friend of hers, so they decided to call him by that man's name! MaMa hung him on the wall, stuck a flower in him and he became Mr. Petrie!  


(As you can probably guess after looking at Mr. Petrie's picture, they never told Rosie's friend or her dad about the name of the figurine.  I don't think he would have been real flattered!)

Now I know to many people they would not understand why I would be sentimental about a little figurine from the dime store, but he is very special to me.  I have so many wonderful memories of times spent at MaMa and PaPa's house. This is just one of the things that makes me recall those fond memories, Now when I look at Mr. Petrie on the wall in my breakfast nook beside my back door, I will be reminded of some wonderful times with two very special people.

What about you?  

What special item do you have that brings back memories of loved ones that have gone on to be with the Lord?  

Is there something that makes you recall "good times" every time you look at it? 

Are there any "Mr. Petries" in your life?

Thank you so much, Rosie, for sharing this special family memory with me!  I will cherish him always!

6 comments:

Becky said...

OK, you are my long lost sister for sure!! I am soooooo sentimental too! Mr. Petrie is so adorable. I do have several things that belonged to my grandparents and I plan on blogging about them. I think my prized possession is my grandma's cedar chest that has her name (EMMA) in wooden letters on the front of it.

I watched the video of Emma on Faith's blog. She is way too cute! Oh and I saw Lewis in the background too!!

Betsy said...

I am so sentimental, too! I love old things and things that remind me of my grandparents. One of the things I treasure is my grandfather's reading glasses. I got them when he died because he always read to me when I was little. I remember sitting on his lap and he would read me the "funny papers" (comics) and just laugh!! There are so many things that bring back sweet memories, but that is just one that came to mind.

petrii said...

This made me really think back. I have a little plastic statue of a little boy holding the hand of his girl and he's looking at her like "she's mine". My first husband that passed away gave it to me. He gave it to me before we got married, and after he died my mom ended up with it. And about a year ago she was cleaning out some things and found it. It is so precious to me.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to remember that sweet time. Dawn

Kristin said...

Oh! I'm so sentimental too!!

I have my grandfather's piano. Even though it's out of tune, it's something that reminds me of him every time I sit down to play.

Mr. Petrie is absolutely adorable! What a great story :)

Faith said...

I love it! Mr. Petrie is so cute and I love his new place in your breakfast room.

I loved MaMa's owl collection and every time I see one, I think of her. Now I have a couple and want to continue to add to them!

Stephanie said...

I loved this post! I am also a sentimental person and I have a set of decorative canisters, that were my Grandma's. There are 4 pieces and they look like victorian houses. One for flour, sugar, brown sugar, and powdered sugar. I remember them on my Grandma's counter and as a little girl, I loved them! When she died, that was one thing I asked for and I'm so glad I got! I have them on a dresser and I cherish them.