Saturday, February 7, 2009

The Queen of "What If"

Let me just begin this post by saying that if you have an Esther study beginning anywhere near you, you need to RUN to sign up for it, because this study is the most awesome study for women that I have ever been a part of. Every week's lesson has spoken directly to me and this past week was no exception. I'm not sure if it was even necessary for all the other ladies in my class to even be there this week, because I am convinced this lesson was meant solely for me!

God so clearly showed me this week that I have been living my life in the "tight fist of fear" for TOO LONG! Whatever that thing is that is my greatest fear, the enemy knows exactly what that is, and he continues to threaten me over and over and over again with it.

Let me just confess to you that I am the "Queen of What If"


"What if" someone that I love very dearly is taken from me unexpectedly?

 "What if" we suffer a complete financial reversal in this economy and lose our home and everything we own?

"What if" my husband falls in love with a younger woman and leaves me to grow old alone?  

"What if" I receive a diagnosis of terminal cancer and I have to leave my family?

God has shown me through this week's lesson that:  "What If" = "I fear". Don't think for a minute that the enemy is not aware of the very things that I am most fearful of. He knows EXACTLY what they are and takes great delight in tormenting me with them. The lesson this week pointed out that we can be in such a stronghold of fear (and in particular the fear of death) that we never really live!

God wants to do a work in my life! I know that He is calling me to a life of courage. He is calling me to be brave! I can never know the abundant life as long as I stay in the grip of fear of death. Listen to this verse that Beth Moore shared with us this week:

"By embracing death, taking it into himself, he destroyed the Devil's hold on death and freed all who cower through life, 
scared to death of death."  
Hebrews 2:14-15  The Message

Christ destroyed the Devil's hold on death and He freed us so that we no longer have to cower down --scared to death of death!  We can be freed to live because we already WERE dead!  

"When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ." 
Colossians 2:13

Death is NOT our final destination. As Beth reminded us this week, the only thing that we have to do in death is just trade this body in for a new one! (And I don't know about you, but I am pretty excited about that!)

So God is telling us to TAKE COURAGE! Whatever this life throws at us, no matter how fearful it may be, God will ALWAYS offer us His courage!  We only have to reach out and "take it" from Him!

What about you, my sweet friend?  

What is it that you are most fearful of? 

What is your "What If"? 

Lay it at the feet of Jesus today and let's be mighty women of valor! Courageous women! Brave women!  Because whatever happens to us, we have to rest in the fact that "my God will take care of me"!

Fear not!


21 comments:

Ginger said...

This is a very encouraging post. I needed to read this today. What if..I never really thought of that as an equivalent to fear, but it really is. This is so timely for me. Thank you for sharing.

petrii said...

Em,
I have been praying lately to be courageous. I want to be a woman of great faith not great fear.

I really want to do this study sometime. I am so enjoying her study on the life of David.

I love you friend!!!

Have a Blessed Lord's day tomorrow,
Dawn

Rebecca Jo said...

Wow... so much truth in that... I can give you a list of "what if's" for every day that I worry about... this post is very encouraging & enlightening... need to hand it ALL over.. the answer to every WHAT IF should be - doesnt matter - God's in control!!!

Kendra said...

I am LOVING this study as well!! I know EXACTLY what you are saying...so many times I have felt like this could have been written just for me. Isn't God amazing that way??
We haven't gotten to the part you are writing about here...but I sincerely look forward to it!
Praying for you!!!

Sue said...

I think you might have some competition for the Queen of What If title, as I have dealt with what If too.LOL!! Thank you for sharing this... so much food for thought...
Blessings,
Sue

LOVE, MERCY AND GRACE...GOD'S GRACE said...

I'm like Ginger, I have never really put "what if" with meaning fear. But that is so true! And I have sometimes felt "what if" take a stronghold on me!

Thank you for this post! How powerful! And needed!

~Beth

Ginger said...

Back again! Thanks for your comment. I think I'm going to put the "what if = fear" on my fridge as a reminder! By the way, I tried the Chicken Supreme last night and it was a big hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Loved it!

valerie said...

Our group isn't on this lesson yet, but I have the dvd's at my house and when I was home recently during the bad weather for three days I watched this one. I agree with you...it is a wonderful lesson. It really got me thinking about some of the fears I have. Beth brought it all into perspective. "And if ________, then _______"
I also agree with you...if anyone has the opportunity to take this class....run to it quickly. It's so great.
I'm glad to have blogging friends to share thoughts of Esther with.
God bless!

Jacquie said...

Oh, Emilie, this post is ME! I have lived in the "what if's" ever since I became a Mom. "What if I die when my kids are just little and they are messed up from it?" (Like I'm super Mom or something???) or "What if my older teenage son makes a choice that can ruin his entire life?" or all the what if's you mentioned. I have and I still do struggle with the "what if's".

Someone once said to me, "You cannot worry one more second on to your child's life." And that meant a lot to me. God has them and my life in HIS hands... and I can trust Him.

On another note... I was SOOOO grateful to have my new generator set up for last Monday night's "24" episode!!! I didn't miss a moment.

Sherry said...

Beautiful post!

As I was reading each of your "Ifs" I couldn't help but give the one answer that fits them all . . . "God will still be there".

Satan loves to defeat and even destroy, us if He can, through fear.

I'm so glad that He is helping you recognize and overcome this stronghold!

Jenna said...

Loved this!!! SO true!

Holly said...

I could not agree with you more on the concept of "What If" = "I Fear". It makes so much sense.

Abbi said...

wow! i'm glad to know there is another "WHAT IF" person out there too! i'm the worlds worst about asking God to many questions and wanting to know the "what ifs" about situation! (if that makes sense!!!....lol) it's sooo hard to set back and not worry, i guess it's our human nater to ask "what if" but we have to learn to just be in the word and read scripture!
very encouraging post! i loved it!

Jacquie said...

Emilie, check out my blog for an award.

Julie said...

I loved this little preview of the Esther study!! My group I lead is watching Session 2 "It's Tough being a woman in a Mean world." So, obviously you are ahead of me. I told a lady at church last night, I don't know what I am going to do when this study is over because it is so in depth and it speaks to me every week!! I participated in the session last night and that video was on transparencey. God was shaken me on that one!!!!

Faith said...

Wow, such a powerful post. The word and theme of "courage" has come up a couple of times in my life recently so I think God is trying to tell me something ;-)

I really want to do this study soon!! Love you so much!

Heather said...

Hi, MiMi! This is my third time back reading this post...and I finally hope I can comment without being too wordy. This is EXACTLY what God has been speaking to me and teaching me in the last couple of weeks and I sooooo want to "get it." I am going to try to blog about what He is teaching me tomorrow, if I can get it to make sense on "paper!"
Thank you for writing this....God spoke to me through your words!
Love ya!

Becky said...

I'm a what ifer too! I'll never forget when Casey first started flying she had an overnight in Las Vegas and wanted me to go with her. Now remember I used to be TERRIFIED to fly....I kept saying to her...well what if this and what if that. She looked at me and said "mom you can what if yourself to death". So true.

I never once thought about what if = I fear. Thanks for sharing this with us.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

monarte said...

Happy I found your Blog,,,
I look forward to reading more of your encouraging words. I to have Two daughters and a Son, and Two wonderful Son in laws, and an angel from heaven, Grand Daughter. May Jesus the Messiah bless you with unending faith.

Lianna Knight said...

I am starting an Esther study on Monday...can't wait :)

Denise K. said...

Hello again! I added your button to our site and stopped by today when I could read down your blog further. How fitting this post was to me! My parents both passed away within two years of each other, and I often fear, "What if I am next." Reading your post and Beth Moore's perspective sure put those fears where they need to be. I have only done one Beth Moore study, "Psalms of Ascent" but heard this one was terrific. Thanks for sharing your perspective too; it's just what I needed to hear! :-)